Friday 24 February 2017

Doris Day

(After storm Doris - 23rd February 2017)

Doris axed the branches from the trees,
Brutally cut them down, blew them
With fierce precision onto
The battle field. The park.
And there she laid them down,
Rows and rows and rows,
Spreading and spreading,
Like soldiers laid out after the war -
A cemetery of cindered sprigs.
And there she left them in peace.

I'm fine, I'm fine, I'm fine.

Hard to - see the truth,
Hard to - create beauty.
Contentment not ever being
Known for its strength as
An emotion. Through the ages.
No one ever sat and wrote 
Soaring operas, heart-punching poems,
Stomach-ocean tragedies, hand-shaking plays
By being fine. By being OK.

I breathed in a bit of Doris
Through my left nostril, let her
Swirl around my soul and settle there.
I have a storm inside me.
It is simmering now, it is weak, barely
Lifting the lazy leaves off their laurels
Now. But wait. Wait. Wait.
I have a storm inside me,
And Lord, one day she'll blow. 


No comments:

Post a Comment