Thursday 28 January 2016

Feathered Arms



Compliments stick to me like post-it notes
On my skin. And even when
The handwriting’s faded
The corners have curled
Sentiment’s gone
People have changed –
Still I waft and flutter my
Bird-like man-made pastel-coloured feathered arms
Trying to shake them off
Clean them, pull them.
But my Brain city exudes the strongest of glue
And flap as I may, still firmly they stay.

But I saw one come off yesterday.
It peeled from my skin, painless
And did a floating waltz to the ground.
I couldn’t tell you what it once said, or
How I once felt when it was said
Because stubborn Brain
Try as you will, you cannot
Keep every receipt in your crammed till.

So I’ll stop flapping for now –
I was not born a bird –
And softly know
I’ll see more and more fall under the
Strength of time.
And god knows Brain,
If you want to speed it up,

Dust, mop, purge, we are due a spring clean.

No comments:

Post a Comment