Tuesday 9 February 2016

Filter


I’m getting a filter installed in my head.
The plumber wasn’t convinced:
“Why d’you be wanting that love?”
I told him I had to try and
Stop the overspill of useless
Crap offending the air near
My mouth. He looked surprised.
“Right you are, miss.”

“When’s it due?” my friends asked
Hopeful, nervous, what would happen
When the reliable talks-to-a-brick-
Anything one stops the sewage
In the pipe, crams it back up there
And tries to let Something Good
Through the mesh and make it
To the world. To your ears.
There will be a lot more
Silence. Which is welcome
For me. I annoy myself.

“Today. I can’t wait,” I said.
Looking forward, excited, though
Dubious about my upcoming
Lack of spontaneity, my clamming
Up.  What if – nothing comes?
The filter has too high standards
The settings are fixed too strong
And I – I – I – can’t talk? I have
Completely and utterly
Nothing to say? But promise
Outweighs fear (for once)
And the plumber arrives (late).

Here we go. Wish me luck.
I’ll see you when I think
Original thoughts, say
Wonderful things. But
Predominantely, probably,
Be mute.

No comments:

Post a Comment